Happy Child

Happy Child
Little Girl from Nepal

Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Adoption Day








Today I adopted Antara. It's a very special day and one that I will remember the rest of my life. I am officially Antara's mother. We left for the orphanage at about 9 a.m. bringing a cake and gifts for the nannies and other children. Everyone was happy to see us, but there was a sadness in the air as Anu would be leaving the family she has known. We changed her clothes into her adorable dress I bought just for the occassion.

Her nanny wrote a letter to Anu that I will one day share with her. We had cake and said our long goodbyes. It was very sad and I promised that I would come back one day (that is if I ever get home :)

I took Antara to the car - her very first car ride - where she immediately fell asleep on my lap. There are no car seats in Nepal. We made our way to the Minisry of Women and Children where we waited for an hour for them to create all the legal documents and where I signed the adoption decree. It was special and they were very impressed with how Antara and I have really bonded.

We came back home (our hotel) and we prepared a bottle for her. She was a bit off schedule because of the crazy morning.

She wouldn't let me put her down in the crib, so she fell asleep in my arms for about an hour. Tonight we took her down to the Chinese restaurant in the hotel and she sat in a high chair while we ate. She is such a good, sweet baby.

And, while everyone says she is so lucky. I am the lucky one. She is a true gift.

Now we need to get home.

5 comments:

  1. CONGRATULATIONS MAMA! I know you are crazed and hoping to get home soon (I am too hoping that for you), enjoy this moment. You are a mama! She is so beautiful and the picture of you two is too perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats to you both Candy. We are so proud of you both. We cannot wait to hold this gift, blessings and peace to you and your daughter. I bet grandma is happy too! Hi Betty! Peace and love Bob and Karen

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ginormous congratulations! Thank you for sharing updates on this blog - you are in my thoughts. Keep up the good fight & hope you both come home soon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! I just happened to be lucky enough to check the blog that Teri shared with me a few weeks ago today!!! What a day!!! I am sooooo excited for you!! CONGRATULATIONS MOM!!! HAPPY MOTHER'S DAY! Julie Creed

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congratulations Mama Candice! I've been following your blog everyday anticipating all the amazing news that you are sharing about your journey. You and Antara have found one another and can now start your adventures together. Things will work out - keep the faith. Laura (Ell)

    ReplyDelete