Happy Child

Happy Child
Little Girl from Nepal

Sunday, August 8, 2010

Meeting Antara






It took us about an hour to drive through the roads, extreme traffic and intense heat of Kathmandu. I have never seen or experienced anything like it. My heart was beating and I was so nervous. We approached the orphanage, which I recognized from photos that were taken by a friend whose daughter was from the same orphanage. Tears ran down my eyes.

We greeted everyone with “Namaste”, slipped off our shoes and entered the orphanage. It was a 3 story narrow building. I saw many small children running around. They took my mom and I upstairs to a room that I recognized and there she was. My serious little girl with soulful eyes that just stare at you. I wondered if I could make her smile.

Her didi was holding her and told me in English to take it slow. I was very realistic going in that this young child has no clue who I am. She is obviously very attached to her didi, which makes me feel so good that she is clearly loved. She held on to her didi as these very different looking women approached her . we pulled out a little soft baby blanket and handed it to her. She put it next to her cheek and wouldn’t let go. I just looked at her and smiled. About 30 min. later we pulled out a ball and were “tossing” it back and forth as much as you can with a one year old.

She is a big girl by Nepali standards. She has those great cheeks you just want to squeeze. She stands on her own, but doesn’t walk just yet. It looks like it could be any day.

Eventually she opened her arms to me and came to me easily – putting her arms around me. I tickled her under her arms and we saw a huge grin. Then she just giggled ! She is quite shy, but very sweet.

The other children in the room – another one year old and a few two year olds – were having so much fun playing with the blow up balls we brought them. They are clearly “siblings” and have a great time together.

Here are photos from our first day. I am having trouble getting photos up and am so tired so please ignore typos :) This is my mom playing kids, Antara smiling with her nanny and me and Antara.

I had to leave after about two hours. We will go back tomorrow a.m.

No comments:

Post a Comment