My mom left today and I am unbelievably sad. I can't thank her enough for staying for more than a month with us. I know that she needs to get back, check on the house and her kitty and take care of my other family members. I am not sure how I am going to survive this. She wrote this on her way out the door and promised to write more when she returns.
Going Home:
I used to joke about adopting a grandchild for myself from China before I had my first beautiful grandchildren, Skyler and Laighton. I never imagined at the time that I would be in Nepal with Candy when she was adopting a baby, but now I have my third delightful grandchild, Antara. The story is very bittersweet as all of you who have been following Candy’s blog know. Leaving appears to be mostly bitter- I thought we would all be going home together with baby showers and a cute baby room to follow. Instead I am rushing to buy basic, very basic often poor quality baby items so Candy and Antara can survive. My “ Grandpa” skills, as anyone who has heard of my Dad will understand- will come in handy. He knew how to fix anything often in a makeshift way. Well I have been designing highchair straps from baby carriers, actually during the night when I couldn’t sleep. (Who in Nepal would ever have thought you would need a strap to hold a baby in a high chair!)
I do need to go home to take care of some things- house, Simba- and apply for Social Security so we all can live- but I hate to leave them here alone. I promised we wouldn’t come home without her. Well at least we won’t leave her here alone. I’ll give Antara my phone number in case Mommy can’t figure something out (that’s because she now has charge of the cell phone, that usually doesn’t work). Candy is strong and has support here, so they will be alright. I will come back if they are here longer and need me, and maybe some of you would like to visit. There really are some beautiful things in Nepal.
I so wish I could come to Nepal to share in part of this journey (ordeal?) with you. Your mom is right--you are a very strong woman and you both will get through this and have some amazing stories when it's over. The only silver lining I can see is that you are getting some major bonding time with Antara which is invaluable.
ReplyDeleteWhat a fabulous opportunity you and your mom had to spend so much time together and share this experience. I realize it is feeling more "bitter than sweet" right now, but you 3 will always have the memories of your time in Nepal to look back on. Soon enough, you will all be together in the states. Hang tough, my friend!
ReplyDelete