Happy Child

Happy Child
Little Girl from Nepal

Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Moving Day

I don't have time to fill you in on how we are surviving :) because I am attempting to pack with a baby strapped to me. I received this from a friend in Chicago today when I woke up. She made me laugh and then cry. I really am attempting to see the good in all this. The obvious Antara. I also think this has cured me of my blackberry addiction (i know many of you are thinking that can't be possible). I may not have internet for a couple days....

This is from Liz Burke (i had to put this up here, Liz)....she is so right.. i miss so many things... family, friends, baby Otto, sushi,water from the tap, my hair dryer and stylist, manicures (cut my nails off), my new road bike and working out, Chanel lip gloss, etc....... Did Brother's and Sister's start yet? I think my mother and I each lost 10 pounds or more. Mom was wasting away so it is good she is home now (she was on the flight that had a bomb scare!).

Our new place has an extra bedroom for all those interested in visiting us!



so wow - this is turning into QUITE a journey - strange as it may seem - i have to tell you that I am a little bit envious. I am working right now in my cubicle of an office downstairs in the basement of a green zebra with absolutely no view to speak of I am answering phones since the hostess that we hired last week - never showed up to work - which means - not only will I be trying to get my work done - but I will be answering the stupid phone for the next several days - having to listen to people talk about what allergies they have or why they should get a special table for eight people on Saturday night - even though it is now Wednesday - and dealing with the all the lovely vendors who want to get paid.


and you are halfway across the world in a crazy exotic locale in a place called Kathmandu - which has one of those great names like timbuktu and as a kid you thought only existed in fairy tales - you are probably sleeping - with your daughter close by your side - who is dreaming of play dates and poolside games and lots of hugs and kisses - trying to figure out this strange new world she is in - you are witnessing your daughter's first steps and giggles and words

I am by myself in a basement

I am trying to figure out how to get people to eat fancy vegetarian food - when you are SURROUNDED by "fancy" vegetarian food.

I took a bus to work.

You have a driver.

I had to go to work.

You are on a semi-permanent vacation.

you are probably missing the little things right now, sushi, guacamole, pancakes, movie popcorn - but I have a feeling that you might lose a little weight on this trip - so perhaps consider this a post baby diet - just like most moms go through

just think - every day - I have to scour my closet looking for something to wear - matching shoes - what jewelry to accessorize my outfit - should I wear a scarf, a jacket, a sweater - and then I realize . . . drat - my favorite pants are at the dry cleaners and they are not open yet there is the shower, the body wash, the shampoo, the shaving, the moisturizer, mascara, blush, foundation, lip stick . . . and then those stupid manicures and pedicures - think of all the time and money you are saving . . .

some comparisons:

singing buddhist monk - annoying saxophone guy at wrigley

Momos (i have no idea what those are) - dominos pizza

little cute mice - GIANT CITY RATS

Janai Purnima celebration - lincoln avenue street festival

babysitting for Anne's rabbit - babysitting for your own daughter

anyway I know it is tough - but i couldn't help thinking of a few of the differences between my life and yours right now

just so you know . . . . I would trade with you in a second

love liz

3 comments:

  1. Candice...thinking of you every day. You must keep the faith. You adopted Antara for all the right reasons and nothing good is every easy. This story does have a happy ending and lots of cool adventures along the way. Take care of yourself and that beautiful little girl.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loved it! You have amazing friends.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Liz does put things in perspective, funny too. I know there are challenges that you were not prepared for when embarking on this adventure. This is a great way to show Antara your resilience. The blessing in all this, besides Antara, is you really get to experience living where she came from, the good and the bad. I imagine that is quite an eye opener. You know, this is probably all good info for that book you need to write when you get home. We all miss you and keep hoping you'll get the green light soon. There will be a bounty of sushi and manicures waiting for you.

    ReplyDelete