Happy Child

Happy Child
Little Girl from Nepal

Thursday, September 30, 2010

Chuckie










Yesterday was a horrible day. I, along with my daughter, had a complete meltdown. I had to write about something light and that makes me completely hysterical.

Anyway, it's been tough finding quality toys for our kids. We brought a few toys from home, but assumed we'd only be here a few weeks....She saw a dolly at a play group and I really wanted to get her one. So, I took a taxi to the biggest baby store in the area. There were two dolls that were appropriate for her age – one was a Raggedy Ann type doll with Blond hair and the other had red hair. I asked if there were any Asian/Nepali looking dolls and they laughed. I just kept thinking about that great American Girl doll, who looks just like Anu, that I bought her months ago and is sitting on a shelf in Chicago.

So I bought the blond haired doll and Anu fell in love instantly. She carried her everywhere. In less than 24 hours I picked her up, and her hair was falling off. Underneath the hair was a styrofoam ball and big plastic chunks that could easily hurt Anu.

I mentioned it to DeeDee and when she went out with Bina shopping they came back so excited and told me they bought both Bina and Anu dolls! I was also thrilled until she opened the bag and pulled out what was the scariest looking doll I have ever seen! Seriously - do you remember Chuckie from the scary movie? I can’t stop laughing when I see this doll… I mean I am almost on the floor hysterical. It has a big head with a huge dent in one side, a huge scary grin and eyes that just stare at you. Well, Bina loves it and carries him everywhere. Anu received the smaller version of “Chuckie” who is also starting to fall apart (see photo).. thank God!

So the quality of toys is an issue. It is a safety issue. We are running into more hazards as we live her. The Nepali people don’t understand the concept of childproofing ones home. I have taped the cabinet where a gas tank is shut now that Anu has found her way to every single cabinet. The outlets are either blocked by furniture our taped shut. Her height chair has loose screws and holds her in with a makeshift strap that my mother managed to create with a baby carrier.

All I can say is we are in Nepal. I am certain she will appreciate her American Girl doll.

4 comments:

  1. Oh my. Just imagine how grateful she will be with other toys if she likes this one so much. Please bring it back with you. I can borrow it and stick it under the covers for Burt to find (it looks a lot like a dummy and he is terrified of them), that would be fun!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Be strong, have a good time with the dolls....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Can we send you some toys? What is your address in Nepal? Or am I being naive - will packages sent to you even have a chance of making it to you??

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi! I customs is going through everything. It can take weeks and is very expensive. I'll email you. Thanks!!

    ReplyDelete